Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Dudley- HP Headcanon #2










I really love this idea. I think it fits pretty well into what actually happened. 
Something I love about this head canon is that this shows how Dudley differs from his parents. Dudley grew up being told not to like Harry and that he was a freak because of his magic, but he got over the prejudice his parents had. He saw Harry for what he really was: an orphan with no true family left, going through a really hard time.

When you think about it, this actually works with the whole "I don't think you're a waste of space" scene. In case you don't remember, this is what happened:


‘Er – no, they don’t,’ said Harry. ‘They think I’m a waste of space, actually, but I’m used to –’
‘I don’t think you’re a waste of space.’
If Harry had not seen Dudley’s lips move, he might not have believed it. As it was, he stared at Dudley for several seconds before accepting that it must have been his cousin who had spoken; for one thing, Dudley had turned red. Harry was embarrassed and astonished himself.
‘Well ... er ... thanks, Dudley.’
Again, Dudley appeared to grapple with thoughts too unwieldy for expression before mumbling, ‘You saved my life.’
‘Not really,’ said Harry. ‘It was your soul the Dementor would have taken ...’
He looked curiously at his cousin. They had had virtually no contact during this summer or last, as Harry had come back to Privet Drive so briefly and kept to his room so much. It now dawned on Harry, however, that the cup of cold tea on which he had trodden that morning might not have been a booby trap at all. Although rather touched, he was nevertheless quite relieved that Dudley appeared to have exhausted his ability to express his feelings.
After opening his mouth once or twice more, Dudley subsided into scarlet-faced silence.

[...]

Then Dudley held out his large, pink hand.
‘Blimey, Dudley,’ said Harry, over Aunt Petunia’s renewed sobs, ‘did the Dementors blow a different personality into you?’
‘Dunno,’ muttered Dudley. ‘See you, Harry.’
‘Yeah ...’ said Harry, taking Dudley’s hand and shaking it. ‘Maybe. Take care, Big D.’
Dudley nearly smiled, then lumbered from the room. Harry heard his heavy footfalls on the gravelled drive, and then a car door slammed.

____


Clearly at some point, Dudley realized that Harry wasn't so bad. That quite possibly could have been earlier than Dudley was willing to let on.

Just as a small side note, I'm curious: do you think they should have included that scene in the movie? I think they should have. They did film the scene, but they decided to cut it out. I think it would have shown the other side of Dudley that they never included in the movies. I'm really glad that she decided to include that scene in the book, because it me
ant that we could leave on good terms with him.
I just don't think that Dudley was that terrible. I know he was horrible to Harry when they were kids, but he grew up. There was proof of that in the "I don't think you're a waste of space" scene.
And I know part of how he acted towards Harry was nature, but part of it was nurture too. His parents told him to hate Harry. He wasn't going to go against them.


What do you think of this head canon? Do you think it would work? Let me know in the comments!

I hope you have an amazing day/evening/night,

BooksAreBetterThanPeople

No comments:

Post a Comment